Can You Rank Free Websites?

Mika

VIP Contributor
If you follow all the SEO strategies, will your free website rank high on the search engine?

This question can be a little tricky because technically speaking SEO does not matter what domain you are using, or whether it is a subdomain instead of the main domain. However, in theory, it is not possible to rank free websites high. I mean it is not possible to see a free website on #1 on Google.

In other words, yoursite.com will be ranked high compared to yourwebsite.wordpress.com. Possibly, yoursite.wordpress.com will be buried deep down, in the 30th or 40th position.

You can also use free blogging platforms and website builders such as wordpress, weebly, wix, simple site, etc. to build your blog or website. However, the problem with these platforms is it will be difficult to rank on search engines.

Jasmine

VIP Contributor
If you create a free website on your name and publish content about yourself, and if someone searches for your name on Google, your free website will be ranked number 1. You can of course rank a free website because ranking is not related to your domain, however, it is more related to quality content and SEO.

kayode10

VIP Contributor
It is possible to rank free website but not in a competitive niche like health loan insurance finance company etc the niche you are going to charge it on the free website must be obscure. It is going to be a mage in which only few people will be willing to write something about. I have seen lot of subdomain website ranking on the first page of Google for some keywords.

Jasmine

VIP Contributor
I think you can rank your free website in any rank as long as the domain is not blocked in the search engines. You get ranked on search engines for content and not for the top level domains. You can use keywords on your second level domain and rank for that keywords.

Mika

VIP Contributor
Generally speaking, there are two types of free website, one, you use free domains like dot tk, dot ml, dot cf, etc, two, you use free website builders and free blogging platforms like blogspot, weebly, wordpress, wix etc. You cn rank your website no matter what type of free websites you have.

Jasmine

VIP Contributor
I am not sure about ranking free domains like tk, ml, cf etc. because I have heard that these free domains have been abused so many times by spammers and scammers that search engines do not even index the websites using these domain extensions, let alone ranking on their search results. But if you have valuable content, you can rank free wordpress, free weebly, free wix, blogspot etc. on Google and other search engines. In fact I have come across so many free sites that were ranked on number one position on Google. It i all about content quality and SEO

Mika

VIP Contributor
A lot of free blogs can be seen ranked high. But whether you have noticed or not the free blogs that rank high on search engines have unique topics and content. They are not ranked because the owner of these blogs have hired a lot of money to do SEO, these blogs rank high for their quality content, the topics that rank for are unique and not extensively covered online.

Good-Guy

VIP Contributor
I have read several articles that state that subdomains are not so good for SEO. However, some people tend to disagree with them and people differ a lot regarding this issue. So, my personal opinion is that subdomains do rank well. However, it entirely depends on the kind of content you post. Your content should be so unique that it exceeds in quantity and quality as compared to other sites that use a paid domain.

Jasmine

VIP Contributor
Subdomains are perfectly in terms of SEO, the only issue here is people do not tend to trust a site that uses subdomains. You can rank subdomain sites if you have built valuable content, however, chances of getting traffic from search engines are nominal as people are likely to click the sites that are built on top level domains.

Good-Guy

VIP Contributor
Subdomains are perfectly in terms of SEO, the only issue here is people do not tend to trust a site that uses subdomains. You can rank subdomain sites if you have built valuable content, however, chances of getting traffic from search engines are nominal as people are likely to click the sites that are built on top level domains.

I really do not know why many people tend to have issues with sub domains. The fact of the matter is that nowadays you cannot even trust professionally created websites that have proper domains because having a proper domain does not necessarily mean that a website is reliable. Having a sub domain might create a bad image of your blog or website but I would not trust a website with a paid domain either. Internet is a dangerous world and we can get scammed or misguided by fake propaganda news. We are living in times where technology has had some bad effects on us, despite the fact that technology has given us many benefits.