Can You Inherit Websites Just Like You Inherit Property?

Good-Guy

VIP Contributor
The word "inheritance" could refer to property that has been passed down by the parents to their children or grandchildren. Just like we own property, we also tend to own websites. We can say that we own websites because having a website is just like a property or business. This is because we tend to buy domains and we pay monthly or yearly fees for that. We also spend a lots of time writing content for our site or hire someone to write content for the site we own. We also do marketing of the site and we view our blog or website as our property because we own all the rights of the content we upload or create. So I was wondering that is it possible to pass our website to our children legally if in case a person dies? If a website is generating a huge amount of profits, then can we add it in our will? I have never heard about something like this taking place before!

Jasmine

VIP Contributor
You can inherit websites just like you inhert properties provided the previous owner give you access to the site, domain register account and cpanel. I have a website, if I want someone to inherit my website, I can give him fill control of any site. I can write a will and state clearly who will own my website when I die. Websites are digital assets. if your website is big, it means big money.

Mika

VIP Contributor
If your father has a website, your father might give you his website just like he might give you his house or money upon his death. A website can be inherited. When Zuckerberg dies, his kid will surely inherit ownership in facebook.com. The new owner could continue with the website or might sell the website to make quick money.

D

Deleted member 28127

The inheritance of a website can be sometimes complicated especially if the collaborators of websites are many like a company website additionally they will find some difficulties in the generation of inheritance because each participant has a family then it can be done if a website has only one administrator but multiple it is something that cannot be inherited.

Icon

Wow, am going to be totally honest with you guys, I have not heard about a website being inherited but it sure sounds possible if the owner really want his or her child to inherit it, like Facebook and co if the owner dies someone will have to inherit the company and that person is definitely the child of the previous owner...

Nite

Valued Contributor
Yes, websites can be inherited just like people inherit property. Afterall, you have created your website, and if you like you can pass that website as a kind of your property to someone else you trust. Digital inheritance is a new thing, but is becoming widespread nowadays. And if we see from an inheritance point of view, it is an important thing to consider, that what will happen to your digital inheritance when you die?