Can investing in stocks be a good alternative for a pension plan?

Alexandoy

VIP Contributor
I am not fond of stocks and I have no intention of investing in stocks. However, my wife was given stocks of her employer with a market value of $20,000 (that’s 1 million Philippine pesos). The stocks were in her holdings for 3 years now. My plan is to sell the stocks to augment my funds so I can buy a lot which would be our retirement investment that can earn us the rent when we build an apartment. However, my wife said that she has no plans of selling her stocks because that is part of her investment for retirement. That makes sense so I did not argue.

Do you really think that the stocks can be a good investment for the retirement? The annual dividend is pretty small. The blue chip stocks are safe from depreciation but it is very slow in terms of increasing market price. What is your take on that?

Mika

VIP Contributor
Investing in stock can be a good alternative to a pension plan. When I started my career, I bulldozed my wants and necessities in order to save as much as I can. Just in two years' time, I was able to buy 1000 shares for $1. Now, the shares are valued at $3 each. In my old age, this will help me.

btaliat

VIP Contributor
Retirement age doesn't require one to even have one source of income. It is better to invest as many as many platforms that are available within ones reach. I don't have any stock or share though but if the opportunity of buying from reputable companies open, I will go for them.

Good luck

Verified member
It can be a good substitute for a pension as long as it will yield a positive results at the end of the day.investing on stock can go a long way in helping one in terms of retirement or pension gratuity that is not forthcoming due to bad leadership and what is happening in the economy or country.stock is better, It is more preferable than not doing anything.