Best ways to deal with damaged property by a tenant

Augusta

VIP Contributor
As a property owner you would always be confronted with tenants that would damage your proper6ty out of anger or bitterness because of one misunderstanding or the other. You need to go about this the legal way to avoid getting self into trouble with the law Incase the tenants want to take up the case legally.

You would have to deal with this situation via the following ways:

The first move will be to document the damages that you known isn't from the normal wear and tear of your property and serve it as a notice to your tenants for negotiation of payment

Now if the tenant wouldn't want to make payments but decided to move out or abandoned your property then deduct the money from the security deposit he paid.

Well if the amount that was deposited doesn't cover the entire damage then you need to sue your tenant for small claims to get the difference.

What's your thought?

Jasz

VIP Contributor
When the property owner is a tenant, the situation can be even more complicated.
As a landlord, you have to know what to do about your tenants' damaged property. You may not always be able to repair it or replace it. If you've been served with an eviction notice because of damaged property, you have options:

Repair and deduct: If your tenant damages the property, you can fix the damages and deduct that amount from their rent. Or if they didn't pay their rent, you can evict them for nonpayment of rent and then send them a bill for the work done on the property.

Repair and keep: If the damage was minor and no need for major repairs, you might choose to repair it yourself rather than evicting your tenant over it. If so, let them know as soon as possible so they can make arrangements with their insurer.

Augusta

VIP Contributor
Yeah tenants damaging property is real it happens all the time that is why as a property owner you need to be careful about getting this recovered from the tenants to avoid law suit. The first thing is to document the damages an SD be sure it isn't natural wear and tear of the property that it was actually done by the tenants.

When this happened the tenants will need to go for it especially if the damages are a big one as you have stated. Some tenants don't know how much goes into repairs for the things they might have willingly or ignorantly damaged in a building.

Sometimes it cost the property owner a lot to put it in place when the tenants moved out. So it is on the property owner to always hold these tenants accountable to always avoid spending too much money to renovate a place before another tenant moves in.

King bell

VIP Contributor
If you own property that is rented out to tenants, it is important to have a plan in place for dealing with damage that may occur. While most tenants are responsible and take good care of their rental, there are always a few that cause problems.

The best way to deal with damage is to have a clause in your lease agreement that stipulates how damage will be handled. This way, there is no confusion or debate if and when damage occurs. Be sure to consult with an attorney to draft this clause, as it will be different for every situation.

In addition to having a clause in your lease agreement, you should also have a process for dealing with damage that is outlined in your rental agreement. This way, you can be sure that everyone is on the same page and knows what to do if damage occurs.

The most important thing to remember when dealing with damage is that you need to be proactive. By having a plan in place, you can avoid a lot of headache and stress down the road.

Augusta

VIP Contributor
Definitely, landlords or home owners need to always be proactive when it comes to renting out a place or a building. Some people are just destructive that you would be amazed at the things they may damage in your building. Most of these issues are really from residential homes where tenants live with their family and damage alot of fixtures and fittings that would need the home owner to fix it back with lots of money.

So haviny first a letter or note concerning damages for the home from a lawyer will be great. This will let the tenants know they can't mess with your property or they will pay for it.

Another is by letting them put in place some money for security. The security deposit mightbe krpt till they are about to vacant the premises. When that's done the tenant will know that their money is at risk if the damage the place.

Suba

Staff member
My experience as a property owner is always rented out, to get passive income, even though my property is rented for a certain period of time (min a year). that doesn't mean all property maintenance costs are on the tenants. I have to investigate first the cause of the damage to part of the property. If the window glass is broken by the child of the property tenant, the repair costs will be borne by the tenant. However, if property damage is the result of a natural disaster such as an earthquake, and part of the property is damaged, it will be the responsibility of the property owner. But if the property damage is the result of being intentionally damaged by the tenant (perhaps out of frustration, but it has never happened), of course I will make a document by taking pictures or creating videos, if the tenant doesn't want to be responsible, I will report it to the police. But in practice, especially if the tenant does not have a fixed income and is old, then I often incur small costs such as repairing leaky roofs, cleaning lawns that are already high, etc. So the property rental business that I run does not prioritize profit.

allison001

Verified member
The most important thing I will try to do is just to settle the whole thing amicably . If I come to find out that the destruction was done out of anger or bitterness then the person must pay in full all the damage he or she has done because no matter what may happened, it shouldn't leads to a situation that you have to start destroying my property..

If the person is not ready to settle and pay for the damage then I have to involve the police or lawyer. But I'll try as much as possible to avoid this and offer a negotiation if possible because involving a lawyer sometimes will take the situation too far and the person might sometimes spending more money than expected...

This will depend on the size of the damage sometimes , when the damage is too much that is when I will involve the lawyer but minor damage can be swept away and the tenants can be given a quick notice.

Shigobad2020

As a landlord and the estate agent , there are many cases in which a property are being damaged by tenants either they do it willingly or its just an accident because their are some stubborn tenants that loves destroying properties , so as a landlord , you must task proper caution to avoid the situation and if you encountered such situation , there are possible to treat the case .

First before giving a house out for rentage , their must be a legal agreement which the tenant must sign concerning the rules and regulation of the house or apartment binding him or her , and in that agreement , there must be a column for the agreement on the rules for the damages of properties and the fines depending on the size and price of the property.
So if the tenants decided not to follow the agreement , then reporting him to your lawyer directly is the next thing where he or she has to face the law .