Avoiding costly vices

Alexandoy

VIP Contributor
Vices like gambling, drinking and smoking are enemies of savings. That’s what I usually hear from the old folks when I was young. Life was slow and those who have extra money would be betting on horse racing or cockfighting. In the countryside rural folks would be drinking the local wine and liquor. Of course, smoking was part of our culture and it is also considered a vice.
When a person has a vice there is extra expense because the extra money that could go to the piggy bank would be spent on alcoholic drinks or cigarettes. Gamblers usually lose and only win sometimes. No one can get rich in gambling. A person who has no vices has more means of saving money. As old folks here say, when you grow old you will realize the value of your savings. I agree to that.

Lens1000

VIP Contributor
That's a food for thought. There are some habit we need to do away with, vices that will take away our savings and left us with no cents. Everyone of us have one or two of those habits. I know mine , and I am trying to help myself get out of it. Alex forgot to mention womanising in the thread. It's part of the vices too

Augusta

VIP Contributor
Vices like gambling, drinking and smoking are enemies of savings. That’s what I usually hear from the old folks when I was young. Life was slow and those who have extra money would be betting on horse racing or cockfighting. In the countryside rural folks would be drinking the local wine and liquor. Of course, smoking was part of our culture and it is also considered a vice.
When a person has a vice there is extra expense because the extra money that could go to the piggy bank would be spent on alcoholic drinks or cigarettes. Gamblers usually lose and only win sometimes. No one can get rich in gambling. A person who has no vices has more means of saving money. As old folks here say, when you grow old you will realize the value of your savings. I agree to that.
I agree with you, nothing consume most of our money like our cravings. This is why I try to curb anything that wants to take away my savings unnecessarily. I try not to form a habit of it since it will be detrimental to my financial well-being. We just need to practice healthy financial lifestyle

Alexandoy

VIP Contributor
You are right that womanizing can be considered a vice which is more fatal in terms of the relationship with the family. In our monogamy culture a married person should stick to his spouse. But in what is actually happening is the reverse for some. Even my wife's father had 2 wives and my wife's mother is the 2nd wife.

Mika

VIP Contributor
Vices like gambling, drinking, and smoking are not only the enemies of your financial health but also mental and physical health. Drinking and smoking will take a toll on your physical health, you will not only spend money on cigarettes and alcohol but also on medical bills. When you lose money in gambling, it will take a toll on your psychological and emotional health.

Setho

VIP Contributor
These are actually some very true things that if you will want to build a good saving and investment career you should avoid. I used to be a very heavy gambling in the past and only I knew the amount of money that I was just giving freely to the bookies. After I was done I realise that it was better off putting that money elsewhere.