Are voltage converters stabilizers.

Peppul

Good day guys, I need help understanding something I don't have an idea about, I am about to purchase some electrical appliances from the US through Amazon website, I understand some appliances won't work in nigeria due to the difference in voltage and would require me to buy a voltage converter because of this. Please is this voltage converter the same thing with a stabilizer we here in nigeria. And if it is not, can I get these voltage converters in nigeria or do I have to purchase them in the US as well along with the appliance am buying from Amazon. Because I don't want to get these appliances and at the end of the day I end up spending additional money just to use them here in nigeria because it will be so frustrating after wasting money and time at the same time. So please for my Nigerian guys your opinions are welcomed.

Sanmight

A voltage converter is different from a voltage Stabilizer as inferred from there respective names, a voltage converter converts a non-suitable voltage for the electrical appliance bought to the appropriate voltage suitable for it. For example, in the USA/Japan appliances have voltage ratings of between 110-120V which is different to the 220V being supplied in Nigeria.

So procuring such foreign appliance will require you to buy a voltage converter(Step Up transformer) alongside it. Failure to do so, will cause the appliance to burn. A Voltage stabilizer however helps to stabilize the voltage preventing power surges. For example, during a voltage fluctuation of 230V which is above the 220V mark it maintains the 220V output to safeguard the appliance.