Are there businesses that are gender specific?

Hena101

Looking into our society with different believe, culture, religion you will realized that we have difference in view and perspectives in many. Many think and say there are businesses that only men can do some are saying no both gender can do and vice versa. But in my view i did not believed with that to me any gender can do any business he or she have passion for as far as he or she can solve the problems and get paid.

Timison

Personally I have no issue with gender in business matters, but in Nigeria there are some businesses that are taged to specific gender which is not suppose to be so.

Kingsley

Valued Contributor
In my own oppinion i think there are some types of business that seem to be more gender sensitive for example a bus driver here in Nigeria Lagos precisely, or a bus conductor. There are other businesses too like that that are very gender sensitive. Although that doesn't imply that a woman can not do it if she wish to but it will be out of place,

Nii41

Personally I don't think there is any business that is gender specific, I feel any gender can do any business, it just depends on your ability to do it. If you know that this is something you can do and you will make profit from it, why not, go ahead and do it. For some weird reason, I feel it's even when you do a business that it is unlikely to see your gender doing, that you might even interest customers to patronize you. So I don't think any business is gender-specific, if you feel you will make a lot of money from doing that business, go for it.

Olajidey

It is in the olden days that there is gender specification on the kind of business a man can do and there is also a business a woman can do. Nowadays am always impressed when i see a woman doing a job meant for a man. For example i saw a video of a woman driving danfo bus in lagos.

Profwriter

The days of gender based business are over, there is no more gender discrimination in our world in terms of doing business or engaging in a service, it's no more a man's world.

From technology to medicine, women are excelling in every strata and field of endeavour, we now have women soldiers who are combatants unlike before when it's been said that women don't go to war.

Rachelgold

There are some businesses that are supposed to be gender specific for instance going to an hair dressing saloon and having to sit down under a man to dress my hair looks awkward but in some cases you realise that they even perform better

Adetayo100

There are no business gender specific at all, women are going into men related field while women are doing the same too. You see men doing makeup and beauty styling on woman, there women who barb men in barbing saloon. It all mixed up and related.

Succjay

Like you rightly said, that saying is baseless. If you are good in whatever thing you are doing and you have the strength for the business, go ahead. This has nothing with gender. We have chefs who are male, and so on. Just be good and you are good to go.

IamDozzy

There is no business that is gender specific, there is a famous saying that goes “what are man can do , a woman can do better”. This goes to show that there are no business that are gender specific. Even the businesses stereotyped to women like makeup, gele making an the likes, you would still find men that engage in these businesses. So I believe there is no business that is gender specific. Any gender can do any kind of business.

Syldan

Proponents of gender neutral language generally advocate the use of gender neutral job titles, particularly in contexts where the gender of the person in question is not known or not specified. For example, they prefer flight attendant to stewardess or steward, and police officer to policeman or policewoman . In some cases this may involve deprecating the use of certain specifically female titles (such as authoress ), thus encouraging the use of the corresponding unmarked form (such as author ) as a fully gender neutral title.

Kennysplash

Verified member
Many people believe that there are some business that a lady should not venture into and there are also some business that a man should not do. I heard my sister talking of how a man helped her to plait her hair in a salon and to her it was ridiculous. She thinks it does not fit a man to be plaiting ladies hair and be doing manicure and pedicure. Likewise there are a lot of business that many people believe a lady should not engage in. What do you think about this business segregation? I think it is just baseless. If you are good in what you want to do then gender should not stop you. Don't pay attention to any one and go about your life, as long as your are putting food on the table legitimately you are good to go.

Augusta

VIP Contributor
There used to be but I think now the narrative is changing and I like that no need putting limitation to any job any one can do. The most thing people need is more of passion not the gender. Just pick what you have passion for and go about making your money in peace

D

Deleted member 27126

Many people believe that there are some business that a lady should not venture into and there are also some business that a man should not do. I heard my sister talking of how a man helped her to plait her hair in a salon and to her it was ridiculous. She thinks it does not fit a man to be plaiting ladies hair and be doing manicure and pedicure. Likewise there are a lot of business that many people believe a lady should not engage in. What do you think about this business segregation? I think it is just baseless. If you are good in what you want to do then gender should not stop you. Don't pay attention to any one and go about your life, as long as your are putting food on the table legitimately you are good to go.
There are, for instance, motorcycle riding business and some other business here require a particular gender before such can be operated successfully.

Haypril

Gone are the days where some certain business are portioned to a fixed gender. In this 21st century, I've seen a lot of changes in business environment and it comes of gender issues. Of recent I watched an interview that happens to be with a female Keke (tricycle) repairer. According to the witnesses, she's good at what she do.

Alexandoy

VIP Contributor
Yes, most of the classy bars here have female servers. Replace them with male servers and for sure the customers will stop coming. For the construction job it is the domination of men although I have seen some women working in building construction handling not hammer or spade but pen and paper for recording.

Abee111

So many people believe that there is business that is meant to ladies, women. But now a days people do engage in any businesses that they know it will generate income to them, that will make them improve in life. Even in a real sanse business in meant to everyone that have the ability to do it. Both the ones we think is meant for female genders.

Daykas

In the olden days there are lot of business a man or a woman will never venture into but those gap has been filled up now cause of exposure. Every business can be run any gender nowadays

Queentener

In the olden days there use to be businesses a man can do, and businesses woman can do but with the arrival of technology which I will say brought civilization no businesses is attached to a particular gender again at least not in my country, you will see female Barber and male hairdresser doing their thing now and happy with what they do for a living.

greatguy1

There used to be but not anymore. The gap has been filled. There are lots of guys that offer manicure and pedicure to ladies including but not limited to plaiting of hair and things related. Ladies also are found in male dominated jobs like engineering, oil drilling and truck driving. With the passing day of this millennium comes enough change in orientation.