Are Home-Raised Chickens Healthier Than Store-Bought Chickens?

Good-Guy

VIP Contributor
Chicken are one of those animals that are used for food for many centuries. Chickens are delicious and they are used to prepare foods and fast foods. In fact, chickens are one of those foods that are also quite healthy because they contain many nutrients. We make chicken curry and they are also used to make soups. However, I was recently reading an article where it was suggested that store-bought chicken might not be that healthy due to hygienic reasons. The article stated that store-bought chickens are infected with bacteria such as Salmonella and E.Coli. Both of these pathogens cause many diseases.

I was wondering if this is actually the case because I have been to many chicken centers and stores where chickens are being sold and I have myself seen that these store owners never observe cleanliness at all. On the other hand, home-raised chickens are far much cleaner and they also get the right kind of healthy, clean diet. We have chickens at home and we may slaughter them for food in the future, but right now we are using them so that they may lay eggs for us. So, is home-raised chicken really healthier as compared to store-bought chicken?

Alexandoy

VIP Contributor
I like this topic because a friend in our village had raised free range chickens. The chickens are the big ones that were imported from Israel. The area is fenced to keep the chickens inside. They cannot fly because they are too big. The free range chicken can eat anything that is on the ground like worms and insects. They are also given chopped lettuce and other vegetables. I think those chickens are healthy to eat but I cannot say they are organic. Just for the safety measure those chickens are given antibiotic to prevent diseases. Maybe it is better if they just let the chicken grow in a natural way without vitamins and medications. But the owner said that the chickens are expensive because they are imported and when one gets sick all of them will be contaminated. It is like saying he could not stop giving chemicals to his chickens.