Are expired domains worth anything?

Bookwormlux

Valued Contributor
Expired domain names are domain names that the previous owners failed to renew the money that is expected for them to do as owners and then the domain name is allowed to drop and become readily available for anyone who is interested in using it for any purpose at all on the internet .
The fact is that once you have registered a domain name , you have a period of one year at least to get to own it and then it would expire when you refuse to renew it .

I really want to know if there are any disadvantages that an expired domain name comes with that makes it very difficult for site owners to use it .

I have seen cases where some individuals who wanted to start a site in a particular niche decided to not make use of some expired domains that have been let to drop . They feel there must have 🐝 a reason why such domain names have been allowed to drop.

However ,I do not want to believe it, because there are even people whose business is buying and selling of such dropped names .

Do you think there are bad sides of using expired domain names?

Nop, once your domain expires, your website would be down untill you renew it. A domian serves as a key entry to any website so once it's down or it gets expired the website also will be down. If your website can't be accessed, then Google will stop indexing your content and you will no longer rank up on search engines.

sincerem

VIP Contributor
No is my answer, many people are earning reasonable amount of money buying expired domains, by renewing it and flipping it off either through inbound or outbound procedure. I am still learning how the tricks works perfectly in order to pick out potential expired domains to buy and place on sale and waiting for the right offer. It takes enough innovation, and calculations, deep research to find out quality domains from the expired list that will fetch you prospective ends buyers for your expired domains if you're a domainer. I know how much expert domainers makes from buying and selling domains. It doesn't bring profit over night, it requires hardwork in order to bring the expected results of big money revenue from the domains you purchased. I am also trying my best to combine domain flipping business with web site design, by buying Domain and attaching it to a website which I'll match with the domain I bought.

Mika

VIP Contributor
I once bought a domain called soiled mind. I was planning to use the domain for a discussion board that I was planning to launch. However, I became so busy with other projects that I decide not to launch my discussion board. The domain that I purchased in order to create a discussion board became useless for me. I decided to put it on sale. The renewal time came, yet the domain did not have any buyers. I decided not to renew the domain and let it expire. I don't know whether someone has bought this expired domain or not, but if someone actually buys this domain, he/she will have an advantage, first, the domain will be an old domain (I was holding for one yeara, so domain is at least one year old, which make sit better thana recently registered domain), secondly, I was planning to use the domain for a site, therefore, I had started building backlinks for the domain. When I dropped the domain, it was unnecessary for me to go to all sites where I had built backlink, but the new owner can benefit from these backlinks. The main idea behind buying an expired domain is age and backlinks

sincerem

VIP Contributor
That's exactly one of the reasons for buying expired domains, another is it's search volume, uniqueness etc. If your domain meets this criteria, it will surely attract high end buyers. I am not a professional domainer, but I'm learning how the tricks works, sooner, I'll be going and exploring full-time into buying and selling of old domains, and using them too to build websites, which I'll later flip, if the need be. At the moment, I am focusing deeply on learning how to go about it, that will being me success and not time wasting. It pains to waste money due to inexperience.

Sodiq

Well, with little experience I have gained in the domain industry I would say No there's no disadvantages of using or registering a domain that was previously dropped/expired.

A domain that was previously dropped still has an edge over a newly registered or created domain name because of their past online activities, such domain are already index by google and other search engines.A domain that was first created let's say in 2009 and the the one that was created recently maybe 2021, the former would be easier to rank on google due to it's age, backlinks, past online activities among others.

However, if you are planning to build an authority site for your business,blog or for personal usage, then you should looks into the idea of expired domain names rather than freshly created/coined names.