Agricultural loan and grants

Victor001

Agricultural loan and grants are one of the possible ways government and non government officials interact with the masses, providing this loan and grants as at when due will help to check production rate and also meet up industrial needs. The issue with loan is repayment as most of the agricultural residues are seasonal.especially crops.

eojo2401

The major source of income for my country Nigeria has been agriculture come decades ago before the discovery of crude oil of which petroleum is the main end product. Agricultural activities used to be so valuable here those days that no one was without a farm of either his own or rented one. But since the discovery of crude oil some 55 years ago, the attention has been shifted from agriculture to petroleum and this is a very bad things for a country like the giant of Africa. Government should do everything possible to make sure that people return to agriculture
This your recommendation is a great one, some people has been clamouring for it over a decade. The government always promised to diversify our economy from crude oil to agriculture but all this are done on the pages of news paper and on air. When the Senate were screening our minister two years ago, majority of the minister designates were southing diversification but after taking the oath of allegiance as ministers, the word diversification fled out from there brain.

Alexandoy

VIP Contributor
Our government used to have that program of lending money to farmers. It was called "Masagana 99" which imposed very small interest. Unfortunately so many farmers did not pay back their loans and the government seemed helpless on that. They cannot sue the farmers and they cannot force them to pay. It would be good if we have that kind of loan program again.

Planet408

Agriculture is truly profitable. Farmers needs support from the government though not really everyone of them. Some are already doing pretty well but majority of the farmers needs support from the government. Sadly, the government don't really give them much support. It seems that some people do embezzle the funds marked out for farmers.

IamDozzy

Agriculture is a juicy, profitable and sustainable business if it is well financed and well managed. Times without numbers, we keep hearing that the government is supporting the farmers with huge amounts of money as grant or free interest loan in order to boost their productivities. But majority of the real farmers in my country don't have access to such supports, it is either the money went to the farmers on paper or the amount being diverted to private purse of some people. This issue of lack of access to government agricultural interventions is a major set back for agricultural businesses which I think all stakeholders should look into and come out with a workable solutions which will make agriculture and attractive business.
Your are very correct, most of the agricultural loans given by the Nigerian government are very much politicized and it is mostly the Northerners that get them. However, the government should endeavour to make the agricultural loan granting process more transparent so that it would be free from nepotism. Alternatively, farmers can access grants from the African Development bank and the World Bank. At least their process their process is transparent.

Chibson

VIP Contributor
Agriculture is one of the most lucrative businesses in which many people has underrated for so many years. The Nigerian government used to depend hugely on agricultural products for export before the oil boom. There are many agricultural loan and Grant program in which the government rolled out in help farmers to grow their various agricultural businesses. One of these programs I know where back then was green revolution and the host of them.

Henrylaw

Agricultural loan and grants can improve agriculture business. To start a business, you will need capital. Capital remains a key factor for starting a business or turning a business idea to opportunity. Many agricultural businesses could not grow because of limited capital. One of the good sources of funding agricultural business is through loan and grants. Farmers and intending farmers should be encouraged to have access to loans and grants to encourage food security. Loans and grants accessed by farmers should be well monitored to avoid loan diversion. Repayment of loans should be made flexible for the farmers with little or zero interest. Agricultural extension agents should educate farmers on how and where to access loans and grants. The government should set aside a certain amount of money for agricultural loan and grants yearly ensure sustainability.

D

Deleted member 27126

Agriculture is a juicy, profitable and sustainable business if it is well financed and well managed. Times without numbers, we keep hearing that the government is supporting the farmers with huge amounts of money as grant or free interest loan in order to boost their productivities. But majority of the real farmers in my country don't have access to such supports, it is either the money went to the farmers on paper or the amount being diverted to private purse of some people. This issue of lack of access to government agricultural interventions is a major set back for agricultural businesses which I think all stakeholders should look into and come out with a workable solutions which will make agriculture and attractive business.
The major source of income for my country Nigeria has been agriculture come decades ago before the discovery of crude oil of which petroleum is the main end product. Agricultural activities used to be so valuable here those days that no one was without a farm of either his own or rented one. But since the discovery of crude oil some 55 years ago, the attention has been shifted from agriculture to petroleum and this is a very bad things for a country like the giant of Africa. Government should do everything possible to make sure that people return to agriculture

Samuel72

Verified member
According to my own point of view when you are working on agric it is very possible for you to easily get a loan from the bank or from the government this is because government aid Farmer a lot all over the world. and also to get any loan you need a guarantor you need someone that will stand guarantee for you in order for you to get any loan. But when it comes to agric loan anyone can stand guarantee for you

eojo2401

Ozigba Richard Lamai

Microfinance bank normally grand loans for farmers sometimes the government also Grant loans two farmers in order to encourage them to buy farm tools machines and also fertilizer 4 the agricultural and farm produce. However it is very important for government to always make these loans available for farmers so that they will be able to access it and make proper use of it.

Agricultural loan are mainly given to farmers or intended farmers who are willing to venture into agricultural sector either rearing of animals or cultivation of lands and crops. Sometimes when loans are given out for this purpose and its not met maybe diverted to some other purpose, the persons are meant to pay back

eojo2401

The fact is just than this agricultural loan and grant has been of major helps to the farmers back in the days
But this has changed completely,we only heard the governmental bodies saying they give out loans and grant but we never see the use of it because most of this are not giving to the real farmers anymore
Which means corruption has taken over the entire process of loans and Grant disbursement. Well if I have the opportunity of telling the government way out of this scandal, I will recommend that both the handlers and the prospective beneficiaries of such interventions should used cultlass (God of iron) to swear before before giving them mandate to disbursed the fund or before receiving the funds in order to used it for its original purpose.

Daykas

The fact is just than this agricultural loan and grant has been of major helps to the farmers back in the days
But this has changed completely,we only heard the governmental bodies saying they give out loans and grant but we never see the use of it because most of this are not giving to the real farmers anymore

Adetayo100

Agricultural loan and grant is like a form of grants issued by the government of a country and some private bodies. Such grant can be used in purchasing equipment in aiding or making farming more efficient like purchasing of fertilizer and agro chemicals, farm tools and other products. It has help both small and large scale farmers.

Godslamp

Grants constitute a form of financial aid. These usually do not need to be repaid, unlike student loans. But if the duties have not yet been met, most or all of the grant will be refunded. Most grants are conditional, meaning farmers have to complete a submission detailing why they are applying for funds.

Haypril

Agriculture has been one of the major backbone that supports Nigiera economy. In the past and present time, agriculture has been a wealth making machine because of it rapid increase globally. It products are in high demands within and outside the country. However, this sector suffers a great set back because of funds and not having access to loans. An average farmer don't have access to grants and loans.

Kabak95

Agricultural loans provide the capacity to purchase a new farm or expand current operations.It can be difficult to keep up with all of the costs associated with running a farm, so farmers need low-interest agricultural loans to help them stay afloat.

Kingsley

Valued Contributor
One of the major sources of income for my country is agriculture and this has been like that for a very long time. Infact there was a time when agriculture was the only source of income of my country before crude oil was discovered. And people and government started shifting their attention from agriculture to crude oil and the likes. this heavily affected the growth of agriculture in my country. But I think the government has started retracing their steps back to agriculture and they have started issuing out funds to fund agriculture programmes. This is the only for our country and any other sensible government to achieve true progress in their economy.

When the people are well feed ,of course they will Be healthy and they will be able to put in their best at their work and this will boost the overall output in the economy. This will help develop the infant industries aswel. On the area of loans we have heard alot about billions that was spent on developing and revamping the agricultural sector in the country. But our hope now is that those funds will eventually get to the hands of those that are the true farmers.

Kendy

Verified member
Agricultural loans and grants is one of the most feasible ways of getting loan and this is because this type of loans are being subsidized by the government wherein there are no interest rate attached and at times is mostly favorable to agriculturalist and farmers alike. Also, to some extent depending on the government on seat, the loans would not be refunded which would now be more of an empowerment programs. These are the kinds of loans that should be encouraged by people and also the government should make and put efforts to give out free loans to its citizens because such loans are less or not burdensome or pressurizing, as it will not only give you time to invest but it was to give it time to maximize profit and yield dividends which will be used for repayment. Grants has always been the best alternative of starting up a lucrative venture most especially for low income users. There are many agricultural loans in my Country because one our main sources of national development comes through agricultural activities. We believe that a land filled with food is a rich land, although sadly, despite the agricultural produce and activities it does not impact the society because we buy food items at exorbitant prices and you would wonder where the agricultural produce are kept or hoarded!