Aesthetic versus access efficiency

Alexandoy

VIP Contributor
I was hired as a technical consultant of a non-profit organization to handle their website which was newly created. When I checked the website it took half a minute to show the heading and title of the home page and that’s just it. The browser seemed to have stopped accessing the website. When I called the contractor I was not given a clear answer but insisted that the website works well in their office.

I went to an internet shop to check and that’s when I learned that the home page of the website has a video. That was 2004 and internet access was very slow compared to the 1 mbps (which is the slowest today). The video dragged down the access because even in the fastest internet shop it takes more than 1 minute to show the entire home page. This is a lesson on aesthetic versus access speed. Heavy images and videos on the web page could ruin the website.

Mika

VIP Contributor
Whenever I bumped into a website that has a video on the landing page, I usually leave the website. That's not because of slow internet (I have 60 MBPS) that because I cannot wait for 60-120 seconds to watch an animated explainer video. Website speed is also one of the major SEO strategies. It is called technical SEO.

Jasmine

VIP Contributor
I care about aesthetic. I am a digital marketer, (facebook and instagram influencer to be precise). In my business line, aesthetic matters most in terms of generating engagements on your shared post. If your post does not have good looks, it will be rejected by your audience outright. I have to make it appealing.