A retiree working as Grab or Uber driver for occupation

Alexandoy

VIP Contributor
We have a neighbor who is using his car as a Grab driver. He said that the earnings is good because his daily net is more than the minimum wage here considering that he drives for 5 to 6 hours only. Aside from the earnings the most rewarding for him is the driving. He is alone at home so being in the streets makes him occupied with a sense. He enjoys driving even when he was young and he was thankful that Grab had allowed him to be a member driver.

The only issue I see in driving a vehicle for public transport is the accident. For the seniors there is the concern of the dexterity and focus on the road. But in fairness to the aged drivers the statistics on road accidents had not mentioned the seniors.

btaliat

VIP Contributor
Retirement day is a day of half relaxation and half work. It saddens me that men can still not enjoy their retirement because they still have more debts and responsibilities to cater for. I don't really like an anged or retiree man to still be involving in driving because it is stressful and risky. But I will always support it if he gives the car out or he involves in investment

Chibson

VIP Contributor
There is this public servant retiree who is actually our family friend. When he retired he bought is sienna car, I have actually forgotten the model of the car. Used it for transportation business and since then he has been making consistent income. He is quite younger than the retirement age which is about 60 years in my country. I think he also uses it for Uber.

Sherman198

VIP Contributor
Retire or no retire, transportion business has always been good and lucrative. Especially if you know how it goes....Seen somebody that started with a car, he uses it for town transport business, inter-state and also Uber once in a while. I think he's unto his 3rd car now. And he has given the two cars to other people to bring profit.

Yugocean

Valued Contributor
I do not think age has to do anything with driving, my 70+ year old relatives drive their vehicles and never see any problem, they ride even scooter without problem.
People who do not have other means of proper earning, must get something, Your neighbor is experienced and you too can drive.

Augusta

VIP Contributor
It isn't a bad idea if a retiree will want to try out driving for money.but it shouldn't be a really old person to avoid danger on the strong. I think the issue of age comes to play here. Because the parts of the body like the eyes are not really sharp again

Alexandoy

VIP Contributor
It isn't a bad idea if a retiree will want to try out driving for money.but it shouldn't be a really old person to avoid danger on the strong. I think the issue of age comes to play here. Because the parts of the body like the eyes are not really sharp again
The licensing agency for driving here does not have an age limit. However, there is a short physical exam to determine the eyes and the dexterity of the driver especially for the seniors. My father was still driving at age 80 until he went back to the US. As long as you have good eyes you can still drive. But for driving for the public conveyance there are other requirements.