Paridhi

Like others, breastfeeding mothers may need to take antibiotics if they become ill. But when a breastfeeding mother is prescribed antibiotics, it can affect her whether the antibiotics are harmful to her and the baby.

But the good news is that using antibiotics as prescribed by your doctor is considered safe for a breastfeeding mother.
Although antibiotics can affect your baby's gut, your breastfeeding is important for the baby. Breastmilk can help your baby's gut heal and a healthy balance of gut bacteria can be re-established. Oligosaccharides are prebiotics found in breast milk. It also has beneficial lactobacilli and bifidobacteria that keep the baby's gut healthy.

What should you ask your doctor when you are prescribed antibiotics?

- Is the medicine safe for the child?

- Could your baby have any side effects?

- Should you give your child probiotics?

kayode10

VIP Contributor
I think it is not advisable to use antibiotic while you are breastfeeding your child when they are still infant. Most of them contains some chemical compound that can cause a drastic effect in the body system of the baby which may lead to complications. This is the reason why it is usually stated on the label is that needs to be used by a pregnant woman or women with an infant.

Sotherefore

VIP Contributor
When you are breastfeeding a baby any challenges you are having or any enquiry it is advisable for you to get all the information that you need from a trusted medical practitioner because this is the best way you will be able to act smartly. It is not advisable for you to get medical information and tips from people who do not have a good understanding of what medical is all about.

btaliat

VIP Contributor
The best thing to do as you have rightly said, is to ask the doctor about the consequences of those antibiotics drugs. What I do hear about nursing especially women that are still breast-feeding is that most of the sicknesses thay affect them do affect their babies as well. Though I don't know how true it is