– Selling aquarium fishes

Alexandoy

VIP Contributor
My cousin has 4 big aquarium with different fishes. I always marvel at the design of his aquarium with the plants and small figurines. But the usual fixture that I see is the air pump which is a necessity to bring oxygen to the water for the fishes to breathe. My cousin was unaware of the risk until there came a time that power outages in our country would last for more than 20 hours in a day. That situation lasted for months before the government was able to source out energy suppliers.

When I visited my cousin all his aquarium were empty. The fishes were dead due to lack of oxygen. Now the question is what about the shop that sells aquarium fishes? They were able to recover because they had generators to power the air pumps in their aquarium. Nice one. But if the power outage occurs at night then some fish can still die before the generator is started.

Mika

VIP Contributor
If you live in an area where there is a frequent power outages, then I believe selling aquarium fishes is not very lucrative business. However, if you have power back up or solution to power cut, I think you can try selling aquarium fishes. You can not only sell aquarium fishes but also aquarium equipment and decorative items.

Wisdom01

Valued Contributor
Thats the problem thats why some times its okay to start such thing on a large scale , because you would be able to run it well and even if there is power ourage and you are asleep , you have workers that could possibly contribute towards the upkeeping of the acquarium by putting on the generstor and others and keep running it , this are the obvious things you have to consider

Setho

VIP Contributor
I think the definition of luxury varies across geographical locations. If I am going to start selling aquarium fishes around here I do not think it is going to make a lot of profit compared to if I sell other forms of pet or ammunition. It is going to perform better if I stay in places like Abuja or Lagos.

Alexandoy

VIP Contributor
I think the definition of luxury varies across geographical locations. If I am going to start selling aquarium fishes around here I do not think it is going to make a lot of profit compared to if I sell other forms of pet or ammunition. It is going to perform better if I stay in places like Abuja or Lagos.
You have a point there because in the rural area I don’t think aquarium fishes can be profitable. The most people that have aquarium are those living in condominium. It is like having a real pet with the aquarium and they have something to tend during the weekend by cleaning the tank. Even in the suburbs the aquarium is not of high demand.