The Reason you should stop using Goolge meta keywords tag

Wole.K

Any time you do a Google search for any keyword or phrase, what do you see? Well, of course, you see a listings page, but that blue link at the top is a title. The sentence below that is a description. Those are title tags.

There's a few different meta tags out there:

The first is a title
, as I just described. The second is a description, which I also just described.

And the third one is a meta keywords tag. A meta keywords tag is where you put keywords, within there, to tell Google and other search engines, "Hey, this is what this page is about. Rank it for this." The meta keywords tag is useless. Do not use it. Reason being, Google has said years and years ago that they ignore meta keywords tags. I played around with this so much, and other marketers and SEOs have as well.

It does not help one bit with your search rankings. Now, at the beginning, any time you create a web page, it's not really going to rank, and for that reason, you shouldn't spend more than a few minutes to create your meta tags for that page. That's a few minutes in total for both the title tag and the meta description.

Focus on making it appealing, so that people want to click through. Make it short. Roughly six, seven words is fine for your title tag; your meta description, roughly, 120 to 140 characters. Sometimes, it will get cut off. That's okay, it's not a big deal, especially when you're creating your meta tags at the beginning.

If you use a WordPress blog, an easy way to do this is through the Yoast SEO plugin. It gives you a box where you can easily type in a custom title tag and a meta description for each page. Now, once a page is a bit more seasoned and it's been out there for six, seven months, you want to go into Google search console; go look at the page, any page that's getting traffic, and see which pages are getting the most clicks. For those pages, you should spend way more time modifying the title tag and meta description.

I would say, roughly, five to 10 minutes max. What you want to do is ... In Google search console, it will show you all the keywords that are driving traffic to that page. Consider integrating some of those phrases and words within the title tag and meta description. By doing that, you will notice that your rankings will climb over time. So, when you're first releasing a page, don't spend more than three minutes to create your meta tags. Once a page is over six months old, and it's getting traffic, you can spend anywhere from five to 10 minutes.

Last edited: