What is short-term car insurance policy?

Short-term car insurance policy, commonly known as as temporary insurance plan, offers cover between one and 29 days. It can be helpful when you need an insurance policy to cover you in a couple of days, to a relocating home or have to borrow a friend vehicle.

Buying short-term car insurance:

Insurance policy providers are usually happy to offer insurance cover to any car driver above the age of EIGHTEEN and below SEVENTY-FIVE - however when it comes to temporary vehicle insurance policy, you may discover that insurance providers are reluctant to provide insurance cover to any person below age of 20. Car Drivers aged between 21 years old and twenty-five usually can purchase temporary insurance.

Other things you need to know before buying temporary car insurance?

It is very important to be aware that purchasing short-term vehicle insurance is not a feasible option to constantly covering a car you own.Although you may believe that you can insure a vehicle you rarely drive often as and once you decide to make use of it, this now become illegal.

Adding a person to policy insurance?

Obviously there is always an option to include a friend or even a relative to your existing vehicle insurance plan, should you want to do this - however this may not be the most affordable method to organised the cover you may need, and it may jeopardize your current claims benefit in case the person who borrows your vehicle has an accident when driving the car.

Furthermore, if anything happened to your own car while your friend or family member was making use of the car and you needed to make an insurance policy claim, that will most likely mean an increase in next yr premium - whereas claiming over a separate, short-term insurance plan would not have an effect on your own car insurance cover in this particular way.

Last edited:

Mandy96

Valued Contributor
Short term car insurance, I would really like to know more about it. I mean why will the insurance company feel reluctant to compensate the insured? Is it that the amount paid for it is more cheaper than the normal one or the premium pay is not as much as the one paid for the long term auto insurance

btaliat

VIP Contributor
Information is indeed power. I never heard of this before until now. But I have several questions for th poster. Is it widely insurance policy or is it limited to some countries alone? And what happens if nothing happens to the car and the insured within that 29 days of insurance.?

Nite

Valued Contributor
It's new to me too, it's like a temporary car insurance that provides coverage for a short duration. Since it's kind of temporary in nature, the insurance validity can be as less as a day, or as long as a month. In situations where a person isn't looking to buy a car insurance for like one year, he/she can choose this type of short term insurance.

Jamoflondon

Verified member
To my understanding, I believe short term insurance is more like short term life insurance because the only difference is the function they both do. Getting it you will have your car insured for a short period of time and as for the premium payments I don’t think it should be as expensive as the regular one

Wisdom01

Valued Contributor
The duration is short tho ,I think if you are actually interested in short term car insurance , you should be ready to provide the necessary documents containing driver license and other important documents ,so you need to take note of this at first , then you also note the premium you would be paying

btaliat

VIP Contributor
I am very sure that it is not all insurance companies that will providing this kind of insurance policy because of some certain factors. Firstly, the risk may not be measurable because the time is very low. Which means the incident may not even happen within the time frame of the policy.