Expanding you professional network

D

Davidcrown01

Context: I have built networks over the years in products that lets professionals network from home both locally and globally.

There are two high-level approaches:
  1. Serendipitous: Place yourself in communities where you are around a lot of smart people with interests and goals that are relevant to you. There are some obvious examples of this like Harvard or a fast-growing startup as well as conferences and communities such as SouthPark Commons. But many other communities are out there if you look hard enough: for instance, the competitive programming world as well as early adopters of a product like Quora come to mind.
  2. Transactional: Ask for introductions to specific people that would be directly helpful to achieve your goals. Don’t wait until the goal has become a necessity. For example, if you are interested in bitcoin mining, find second-degree connections who are experts and get introduced to them. When you do get introductions, offer to be helpful to them and ask relevant questions. LinkedIn is a great tool for this approach.
Throughout my career I found that the optimal strategy is to mix these two approaches.

However, there isn’t any platform that can do both well— and moreover, the serendipitous approach does not work for people outside of clearly defined communities.

That was why some team has created Lunchclub, an AI platform for professional networking that makes direct introductions and sets up video calls based on modeling mutual value in the context of goals and interests. Our platform is now open to users in over 50 major cities globally.