How to Successfully Start a Poultry Farm Business in Nigeria?

Vandi Cassie

You're not only about to become a poultry farmer, but a business person also, it depend on what market segments you would like to focus on in Nigeria and what area of the poultry business you want to take advantage of. In poultry business there are actually 2 main areas: Layers, which are usually Fowl bred and also brought up to produce eggs, or broilers, Fowl raised and also bred to get slaughtered. No matter what area you decide on, actually need financial and managerial decisions to make your own poultry farm small business lucrative.
How to Successfully Start a Poultry Farm Business in Nigeria?
1. Make a small business plan. This is certainly the most essential things to draft as part of your process. This tells of exactly what objectives you intend to accomplish and how you would like to make it happen. It is also a strategy showing how you want to run your fowls business from not only a producer's perspective, but also as a consumer.

2. Get land space, funds and equipment. It's hard to set up or sustain a poultry farm or a fowls farming business in Nigeria without these needs. You will require structures like cage to raise your Fowl in, whether or not they become barns or hutches depending on the way you would like to raise your Fowl. Equipment are needed to clean up barns, get rid of dead-stock, work crops, etc.

3. Decide the way to best raise your Fowl. There are actually 2 major methods to raise them. Standard systems have Fowl limited to barns which are temperature and controlled areas. Free range methods let your hens run of the farm to be able to behave as naturally as possible.

4. Choose the areas of the fowl business you want to engage in. You will find two different types to choose from: broilers, which can be Fowl brought up for meat, or layers Fowl raised for eggs. Nevertheless, you can also get other areas of the business you can engage in. Eggs that are not to be made available on the market for human consumption (all these can be from both layers and broilers) are incubated and the chicks hatched and raised till they can be in the suitable period to be purchased by farms to be raised as broilers or layers. Usually the business of incubating eggs in Nigeria and raising chicks is different from that of bringing up the Fowl. Additionally there is the part of slaughtering Fowl for meats this is a different market itself you may want to do.

A lot of fowls farms (mainly the ones that aren't conventional) have more than 1 area of the fowls farming business to run. Whether or not you intend to handle almost all areas or just 1 or 2 is your choice.

5. Become known to prospective customers and consumers. Market your self simply by making many people know you have meat or eggs you would like to sell. Usually marketing by word-of-mouth will be a lot more affordable and still the most used way of marketing as compared to spending money on an advertisement in local newspapers that may get read by just a few people. Nevertheless, there is absolutely no harm in doing that either, neither is there any kind of damage in making a website promoting your poultry business.

6. Keep records of your poultry business and operation. So that you can always tell if you are making profits or not.​

Last edited by a moderator:

Kendy

Verified member
In Nigeria, there are ways we can successfully run a poultry although there is no guarantee of not encountering challenges. First of all, you need to choose a good location, and most preferably, close to restaurants, hotels and bars. The location of the business would determine how fast you will maximize sales. You need to make a business plan and also have a budget and most importantly, you should include miscellaneous because of the incessant increase of poultry products. There are ways to start but your budget will determine if you must operate on either a small or large scale. The house which would accommodate the poultry should be spacious, this is because one of the reason chickens are fast to go into mortality death rate is lack of enough space and overheating. It is not possible to keep 500 birds in a crammed space and expect them to grow. Also, the equipment used in building the structure of the house should not be dangerous which can strangle the chickens. You should also build a good rapport between your customers and those who supplies you with the products. In addition, you should keep day to day records of all the operations, so you will be able to calculate your expenditure.

Stena

The poultry business, though lucrative has become a delicate one. Any one likely to go into the business has to know keenly its in and out in order to be successful.

Drafting a very good business plan would be a good start. Your plan should include how you intend to source for capital, your target location and customers, how you intend to deal with competition and other potential threats, how you intend maximizing opportunities and strengths, and the future of your business.

Carry out a market survey to know the current prices of equipment, feed, chicks, drugs and other inputs. This would help you know how much starting capital to secure.

Ensure to get a suitable site for the business, the site should be well secured, void of pests and thieves, close to the market and target audience.

Ensure to get a very good poultry stock. There are some stock that are more vulnerable to diseases and mortality prone than others. There are others that are fast to reach marketable size than others (though exposed to the same living conditions).

Incorporate other sales to boost overall productivity. You can raise layers alongside broilers to get eggs for sale. The poultry dung can also be stacked for purchase by farmers.

Endeavour to reach out to customers early enough and maintain a good relationship with them.

Sotherefore

VIP Contributor
I have experience of this business before and base on my experience it was not really a profitable business to me , the reason was because I didn't really understand how this business was being done and as a result of this I established this business without even having a single understanding of how the business really works.

The happiest thing for me was that I didn't use all my capital to start up the business at once because if I did that I could have lose everything because the chicken started dying even without knowing what was actually the problems. When I ask an expert they said that I didn't follow all the normal procedure that is why I was losing all those chicken.

Although chicken business is a profitable venture since chicken is on high demands over here with the most important thing is just the understanding . if you have understanding of how you can do it perfectly you won't likely lose anything but you will make profit with the business.

Anyone that is interested to start up this business should at least try as much as possible to start it with few chickens , then you can decide to add more after a successful management.