What is the Best Platform to Start Your Online Business?

Jasmine

VIP Contributor
In other to start your online business, you need a platform to start your business. The platform is the store where you sell your items. You can sell your items on your store or third party store. For instance, you can use shopify to build your store and sell your items. Alternatively, you can create a store on Etsy and sell your items. There are a lot of options whether you can sell from your own store or third party stores. But as a newbie you would perhaps like to know which is the best platform?

When you are selling online, the platform you are selling does not really matter. What matters is your product and you marketing methods. When I say platform does not matter, I am not trying to recommend any random online marketplace, what I am trying to say is you can either sell on eBay. Amazon, Zazzle, RedBubble, Etsy, Printful, etc. It does not matter which one you choose as these all are big marketplaces with huge customer base.

Mika

VIP Contributor
I believe the best platform to start an online business is the third-party ecommerce platforms. That’s because these platforms already rank high on search engines, thus, have huge organic traffic. These platforms also have a huge customer base. For instance Amazon ranks number 13 in terms of global traffic, it has 2.9 billion monthly traffic. Amazon has 200 million Prime users and hundreds of millions of active customers. eBay ranks 36th with 957 million monthly visitors. eBay has 187 registered users. Etsy might not have huge traffic like eBay and Amazon but it is one of the top 10 online marketplaces. Etsy annual marketplace revenue is 1.7 billion USD. Etsy has 96.3 million active buyers but it has only 7.5 million sellers. You can see the earning potential when you start selling on Etsy. Therefore, when you start selling through these platforms, it is easier to sell compared to selling from your own online store.

Sotherefore

VIP Contributor
There are different type of business that can be done online and the platform needed for most of these business are quite different from one another. For example if you are dealing with electronic device and you are interested to sell it online obviously you will be looking forward to market your product on shopping platform like AliExpress or any other depending on your location .

So many other people at the same time who have digital skills such as content writing will not need to market this skills on shopping platform , but will look for opportunities to get involved in freelance platform because that is the best and the most suitable platform for people who have digital service offer. Anyone who may not have interest to be a content writer as a freelancer can be making his money by writing of ebooks and posting on Amazon Kindles. All the following skills i have mentioned are all online business.

LoukiaCharilaou

Valued Contributor
Hi everyone! Thank you very much for your informative thread. It is true that there is a great variety of platforms to start your online business. In my opinion, the best platforms are e-Bay and Amazon because they are very well-known platforms and a lot of people from all over the world visit them daily. So, there you have many chances to sell your items.