Starting a Vegetable farm for Business

IamDozzy

As we all know, vegetable is consumed by everybody on Earth. Some examples of vegetables that are consumable includes; Lettuce, Cabbage, Pumpkin and its leaves, Bitter leaf,Scent leaf, Tomatoes and lots more. Vegetable farmers especially those bases in the North make a fortune from just selling and exporting vegetables such as Tomatoes to other countries.

Imagine selling vegetables to 10% of the Nigerian population, that's a fortune. I am going to highlight steps one can take in order to start a vegetable farm in Nigeria.

Steps to take in starting a vegetable farm in Nigeria includes;
• Getting a good land will the fantastic Humus soil or a Sandy loam soil.
• Prepare your land for farming by clearing weeds, removing stumps, clogs and stones.
• Buy the seedlings of the particular vegetable you would love to plant.
• Get your farm equipment ready such as Hoe, Cutlass, Watering can etc.
• Plant your vegetables using modern planting methods.
• Take care of the growing plants by watering regularly, applying fertilizer , providing shade from the sun.
• Harvest your already grown vegetable and take it to the market for sales.

Last edited:
Starting a small farm can be a huge investment and as such is often not easy to get into. There are a lot of different things to consider before starting your own small-scale farm. Let’s break down the start up cost a bit further. I will give a quick run down of the most important cost factors and what to expect financially.

My dear, if you are able to sell vegetable to 10% population of Nigeria, then you will actually need at least 10% agriculture land of Nigeria. This is next to impossible unless you can afford to buy. But setting up a vegetable farm is good; Covid has taught a lesson. Never neglect the farming, I support the farming business.

i would like to encourage you in your vegetable farming, vegetable farming is very lucrative as in people consume them on a daily basis.
just make sure your soil is fertile and rich in organic matter then you would be left with only pests to worry about. good luck

i would like to encourage you in your vegetable farming, vegetable farming is very lucrative as in people consume them on a daily basis.
just make sure your soil is fertile and rich in organic matter then you would be left with only pests to worry about. good luck

Vegetable farming is a lucrative business especially where irrigation farming is the only option. To start a vegetable farming you need an agricultural land, investment capital, little or no labour. A person going to vegetable farming should take these factors into consideration. This include: soil fertility, nearness to water supply (in case of irrigation farming), pest, theft and weed control.