Situations where working for free could be quite profitable.

Etini

Valued Contributor
I know a lot of people might pick up a stone to cast at me just from the topic of this write-up. It is understandable because even in Freetown, there is no free work or free service. I am a believer in pursuing things that gets you paid but there are situations that might just be more profitable to you if you work for free. Here are such situations:

1) When you want to build your name in a niche and a portfolio for yourself: When you are new to a field and people don't believe you, it might just be ideal you showcase what you carry inside by showing them your capacity for free. When you have made the name and established yourself, they would beg to pay you your price.

2) When you want to gain experience: If you are a newbie with no real knowledge in a particular niche, you can offer free services to an established firm in that niche. You are learning with that and you would soon become an authority that would name your price to people that need your services.

3) When you want to build a network: When you want to be part of a team and be counted among or you want to establish relationships with some authorities, you can volunteer free services for a project just to get a close working relationship with some influential industry people and build a network with them.

Mika

VIP Contributor
I am not in favor of working for free. As long as someone can make money form the work you have delivered, I believe you should ask for payment. But I understand working for free can work, especially if you are just starting out and have not built reputation yet. Let's say you are a writer but you do not have any reviews or ratings. If you do not have reviews and ratings, you are less likely to be hired. However, if you built reputation by offering free service, you can build reputation.

Leah Kelvin

There are instances when you can gain from laboring without pay. This is especially true if you want to expand your portfolio; volunteer for non-profit organizations; trade services for free publicity or work experience; and learn new things through internships. Doing unpaid jobs may open doors to future paid employment opportunities, personal development, and referrals. Additionally, it helps an individual create networks across different industries while also creating chances within the business world. Generally, although there is no immediate financial reward, the advantages of working for free far outweigh them by providing valuable skills and connections that eventually translate into career success in one's chosen area or sector.