Is it possible/right to build a house without an architect?

Etini

Valued Contributor
Am architect is a person who draws and designs the plan of a house. I was told that they have been trained to know and balance the loads in a building. That said, I live in a clime where people tend to be inventive. Some people set up their building construction without the input of an architect.

I know a man that just uses a stick to sketch out the pegging he desires for his apartment on the ground. And the next thing, the excavation is done. I want to ask, "is this practice tenable? Are architects just overhyped? What are the risk factors associated with this practice?

If you take cognizance of the fact that technology has made it possible for anyone to learn building designs even with no architectural background. Does the architect have a role to play in the building ecosystem as it is today? It is safe to know.

My friend designs buildings. From what he tells me, you can't do without a professional architect now if you want to own a safe house. Of course, with the right approach and experience you can build a house without a project, but the question of safety remains your problem later on.

How possible is it for one to have the plan of building a safe and beautiful house without the work of an architect? It may be possible for some people not to ask for a service of an architect but trust me,it isn't safe,it is only an architect I believe can make plans on what and not what is safe,how to build for the security of safety and all that. Architects are not over hyped ,it is their line of skills and their means of livelihood.. you see,not making use of an architect when building is equivalent to not needing an electrician for your new house. Some people may like it that way thou but I find it old fashion a d unsafe.

Without been an architect you can draw your own design,the perfect house you want but would be nice if shown to an architect to see if the design is right/good for use.

It is not necessary to invite the work of an architect to build our small house. But it is very important to have them because there are somethings to consider when building a house structure on a piece of land in which most of the bricklayers don't know.

There are many bricklayers that we can give the work to in building our house with no problem and they will do it well. But it is not all house that they can build like that. There are some high story building that will need the knowledge of an architect for the house to stand there.

There are some area that has limit on the kind of house structure that can be built there. Even if we want to force ourselves to build that kind of house in such area, there some things that needed to be done first and this is not known to ordinary person. So the work of an architect is not necessary in all building but it is very important.

I have been following a bricklayer to work sometimes because I have them as friends , so i work with them when I am not financially buoyant , though building a house need an architect's because without an architect's to design a house , the house won't look promising and won't be well recognise and accepted by the government , but in my own opinion , you dont really need an architect's if you want to build some simples housing , those bricklayers knows much on how to build houses without any help from an architect's but you need an architect's to get a standard house .
It's the work of an architect's to first look at the size of the land to know if its loopy or not to know the type of house he's going to design that will be suitable for the land to be perfect and last longer.

Well , sometimes it is not the best for you to build a property without the use of professionals architect . you may be able to design how you want your house to be but in most cases an architect will be the ones to give a final design based on physics and chemistry calculation. And most times they are the one to determine the best design depending on the topography of the land and so many other things.
Most importantly if I am interested to build a property , the best thing I will do is just hire a professional architect to give me the best designs . Here in Nigeria recently there have been a constant cases of building collapse and from all indication the causes of this is always as a result of bad design and some other errors during the building process.

My opinion it is not the best option.