How to start Cat Fish Farming Business Successfully

G

My name is Ken, i intend to start fish farming, is Cat Fish Business Capital intensive?

Last edited by a moderator:

ion

Looks interesting, I wonder why cat fish? it's that in-demand in your country? Because there's a lot of different kind of fish, because honestly, I don't eat cat fish that's why. I just love fishing, and sometimes we catch some big cat fish, but we don't eat them, we just bring it back to the water.

TOZZIBLINKZ

VIP Contributor
Starting up catfish farming business is a big project even for the start, because you have to employ more workers, buy more feeds in order to feed the fishes, you'll be buying fuel almost everyday because inside the fish pond you have to empty the water every 2 or 3 days, in this case you have to plan ahead, get more ideas from expert, you can also start with 1 or 2 pond of catfish, so that you'll be able to manage.

Alexandoy

VIP Contributor
Catfish would need a fish pond that can be a mud pond or a concrete pond. That is the first part of the capital requirement which means you need land or place for the fish pond. What follows next are the fingerlings (small fish) that you will grow. You also need the food and should know the proper caring. Lastly, learn the harvesting of the cat fish and the marketing as well.

Mellorando

Banned
In Nigeria to start a catfish business you have to have not less than 300000 naira for capital catfish business are some people view it as a gross business no doubt this is true but no doubt you need to consider if he or she is someone that can do such a business catfish business is profitable only if you have the right species of fish to give to your customers

Doradorwa

Opportunity seeker
The capital is not suppose to be much. Though it depends on what part of the catfish business you have in mind. Are you starting a farm for catfish? If yes then the capital will be slightly much and it needs land and couple of labor. But if you are planning to go retailing then you will have no problem with funds as you can start with whatever you have.

sincerem

VIP Contributor
I don't have to focus only on cat fish specie, rather i should be versatile and breed other specie and expand my fish pond into different pots to carry those large number of fingerlings in order to expect bigger profit. Fish pond business is very rich for the farmer who knows how to train and breed larger species and attract wholesalers who will come in, to buy in bucks.

Maven Tiger

Cat fishing is capital intensive @Ken. I would suggest you add other related Agricultural investment that are less capital intensive to start up. Although, the reward is reasonable and the risk of breaking even within a short period of time is nearly impossible. Also, the fish farming business is time consuming but if you have the capital, you can invest in the business.

btaliat

VIP Contributor
I don't have to focus only on cat fish specie, rather i should be versatile and breed other specie and expand my fish pond into different pots to carry those large number of fingerlings in order to expect bigger profit. Fish pond business is very rich for the farmer who knows how to train and breed larger species and attract wholesalers who will come in, to buy in bucks.
I don't think it is possible to breed diffrent species of fish in the same pond. Fish eat fish and if care is not taken even the same fish will finish eating themselves let alone breeding other species with them. I have also had interest in fish rearing but my time won't even lemme take care of them.

Jasz

VIP Contributor
Cat fishing is the most popular form of fishing in the world. It is a method of catching fish by using a net, baited with a piece of food or bait.

Cat fish farming business is one of the most profitable business you can start in this era. You can get a lot of profit from cat fish farming because it is very easy to start this business. If you have enough money, you can invest on the equipment needed to run your cat fish farm and hire some people who are willing to work for you.

There are many ways to make money from cat fish farming business but the easiest way is to buy farms that already have cats on them. These farms are located near the sea where there are many big fish like tuna and swordfish, etc. In addition to buying farms, you also need to buy boats and nets for catching these big fishes.

You can start a catfish farming business in a very short time, if you have the right knowledge. Here are few steps to follow:

1. Get a license from your state Department of Health.

2. Buy an empty pond or tank and build it yourself.

3. Rent a house for your cats and begin feeding them with commercially prepared feeds.

4. Wait for some weeks and see how the fish grow.

5. Once you feel that the fish are ready for market, place an order with a wholesaler or retailer who will sell them to restaurants or grocery stores.

King bell

VIP Contributor
To start a successful cat fish farming business, or any other kind of farm business, success is a mix of properly planning and executing your venture. The first part involves assessing what you have to offer the market and finding opportunities to supply it. The second step is developing a plan that will ensure your success.

Cat fish farming can be done in ponds, but it’s more likely that you’ll build a ‘fish camp’ near water that features several different setups with varying degrees of capacity. All these setups will require tanks, nets and traps for catching the fish as well as pens for containment and feeding troughs for the animals to consume their food.

You’ll need to plan for the housing of the animals and offer them places to breed, be fed and given fresh water. In this regard, you’ll have to do everything you can to ensure that the fish are happy because the happier they are in their environment, the better they will taste.

Cat fish farming is not a profitable business all by itself. You can only make money from it if you sell your product on the open market. People are more likely to buy cat fish when they see it at a market or restaurant, so your main source of income will come from selling your products directly to them.